Rules and recommendations
In this unit we inform you about the rules at the Transnistrian border and staying in Transnistria:
Foreign tourists, who want to visit Transnistria, have to cross the border only in international checkpoints:
- Cuciurgan-Pervomaisc (if you go from Odessa, Ukraine)
- Bender-Chisinau (if you go from Chisinau, Moldova)
- Dubasari-Chisinau (if you go from Chisinau, Moldova)
- Ribnita-Rezina (if you go from Rezina, Moldova)
- Camenca (if you go from Moldova or Ukraine)
The EU-and US-citizens have the right to visit Transnistria without visa.
Tourists who have the valid visa of Republic of Moldova can enter Transnistria according to this visa. After the Moldovan visa has expired, you must leave Transnistria.
Important to know:
1. If you enter Transnistria by bus, you receive the migration card at the border. Just show your passport to border people.
- The address of bus station in Chisinau is: str. Mitropolit Varlaam, 58. The buses go to Tiraspol every 30 minutes till 18 o clock evening.
- The address of train station in Chisinau: str. Vlaicu Pîrcălab, 48.
- The train Chisinau-Odessa with stop in Tiraspol. Please look schedule at www.railway.md
- The address of bus station in Odessa: ul. Colontayevskaya, 58.
- The address of train station in Odessa: ploshad (square) Privokzalnaya, 2.
- The train Odessa-Chisinau with stop in Tiraspol. Please lokk at schedule at www.railway.md
You receive the migration card FOR FREE and the registration at the border is FOR FREE as well.
Border people scan your passport and you receive automatic migration paper. They do not stamp your passport.
Tell the border people the address and the period of time you want to spend in Transnistria. The migration card will contain the time you told to border people.
2. If you come by train to Tiraspol from Chisinau or from Odessa, you have to fill in the migration card right at the train station in the office of migration department. You receive the card at migration office. You will need a pen. Fill in the side A and the side B and give the card back to migration office.
3. If you are citizen of EU or USA and cross the Transnistrian border with your own car, you have to make Transnistrian car insurance at customs and car vignette for the wished amount of days.
- It is impossible to change Romanian Lei in Transnistria! We recommend you to have Moldovan lei, Euro, US-Dollars or Ukrainian Griwna. You can pay in Transnistria for services (restaurants, bars, transport) only in Transnistrian Rubels!
- We recommend you to have enough cash money, because the ATMs are not to find at every place! One average good meal costs from 5 to 10 Euro. Taxi in the city costs about 2 euro. One bottle of good brandy Kvint costs 6 euro.
- It is forbidden to take pictures of:
- KGB-building (there are respective signs in front of this building)
- Checkpoints of Peace Forces and other military objects.
It is allowed to take pictures of: monuments, houses, buildings of culture, roads, shops and other social objects.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages in public!